12/19/06

Hollywood Travesty Alert!

I love me some good 80's movies. Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Encino Man, The Manhattan Project, and The Goonies are just a random smattering of some of my favorties. One of my top favorites has always been WarGames.

Well, here's the deal. I found out earlier this afternoon that a WarGames sequel (aptly named "The Dead Code") is now being filmed. From what I have read about the movie, it sounds like the exact same storyline as in the original with one exception: replace "global thermonuclear war" with "terrorist attack". Apart from the absurdity of a supercomputer that simulates/predicts terrorist attacks (is that even possible?), there appears to be not one person from the original film involved with the sequel.

I don't want to see any of my favorite movies from the 80's butchered like this; exploited, cheapened and pathetic.

Shame on you, Hollywood, for letting this movie happen.


In lighter news, I think I may have stumbled upon (literally) the next book series I will read. The first book, entitled The Golden Compass, was written by Philip Pullman and sounds like a really interesting read. There is a movie being made that is currently in post-production, site here. Once again, it looks like it was written for children (I seem to gravitate towards these lately) but apparently has deep philosophical situations within its pages. I am going to look into it and hopefully get back to you about it sometime.

1 Comments:

Blogger SlowTEC said...

I suppose it's possible for a computer to "predict" terrorist attacks. I mean they could rate their most vulnerable and important installations and locations. And then run simulations on how an attack could occur. It's really not that complicated.

12/22/2006 05:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home